18 December 2006

Christmas and more Christmas

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
One in each fist. After all, I've perfected my hot chocolate recipe, but you can't go the holidays without some good egg nog.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
He wraps them - different wrapping paper for each family member. It saves him writing tags and us looking at tags. We can just tear in, and boy, do we ever tear in. Our goal: carpet the living room with wrapping paper. We have to rip faster than my dad can clean it up. Mainly, we're just trying to drive him crazy.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
We did just blue lights this year, and I'm pretty keen on that look.
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Don't need it.
5. When do you put your decorations up?
Weekend after Thanksgiving if possible. We watch White Christmas on Thanksgiving night to initiate the season.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
Do I have to pick just one? I love food! The stuffing and mashed potatoes - oh, the mashed potatoes. As the joke goes, our family eats enough mashed potatoes to set off the next Irish potato famine. And the cranberry sauce, and the pink stuff...
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
Waiting at the top of the steps with our chocolate Carnation Instant Breakfast and favorite stuffed animal until Mom and Dad got everything together and music turned on and lights lit (and presents under the tree, which, of course, we didn't know at the time, cuz, after all, Santa left them there last night). Then there was the one present that Santa almost forgot one year. He left it by the garage door. My skateboard.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
It was in the summer at the lake for vacation. A sort of free for all - Santa, Easter Bunny, Toothfairy. Not sure how I figured it out. I was sad, but it wasn't traumitzing. I think I got over it in a matter of minutes, somewhere between bites of the juicy peach.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Yup - ornament and Christmas pajamas. This year, we're celebrating with Chris' family, and my family is joining. We'll still do the ornament and pajamas from my side and something from his mom on his side.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
Lots of lights - blue lights, as I mentioned above. Lots of ornaments. Not really a specific theme, although the little tree in our bedroom is red and gold with white lights.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Love it - but I live in Texas now. Not too much of it. We had maybe half an inch a few weeks ago, before it went back up into the 80s.
12. Can you ice skate?
As long as I'm holding on to the rail.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
The painting chris did for me - two paintings that fit together. One represents me; one represents him.
14. What's your favorite thing(s) about the holidays?
All of it. Christmas music (the station that plays all Christmas music until Christmas); the cookies; the parties; the family; the traditions; the houses all decorated; mom in her kerchief; visions of sugar plums...
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Butter cookies made with the cookie press into fun Christmas shapes with red and green sugar splashed on top.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Christmas Eve candlelight service, followed by dashing through the lit streets to take in all the holiday lights. Then we go back and read Luke 2 and Twas a Night Before Christmas.
17. Did you ever see an angel?
Sorry, but no. I've heard they're pretty scary warriors with the glory of the Lord accompanying them sometimes, which always inspires fear. Either that, or they come to tell you your pregnant. So I'm okay with not seeing them for now.
18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
the giving part more and more (although I still like the receiving, so you can send gifts to...)
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
Silent Night. Since I was a Christmas baby (remember the whole December birthday month thing - still accepting gifts), my mom sang it to me as a lullaby. Christmas ended; she still sang it. I must have been about 10 when I discovered that it's actually a Christmas carol. I still get sleepy when I hear it.
20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
I give 'em to my hubby, who adores them.
21. Favorite Christmas movie?
White Christmas far and above. Followed by Rudolph for obvious reasons.
22. What do you have on your list this year?
Books. Big surprise there.

And one random Christmas question I have: Jesus was born as a human, died as a human, resurrected as a human (see the part of him eating food with his disciples), and ascended as a human, and will return as a human. He chose to become human for all eternity, although he is still fully God. However, as a human, does he still need to eat?

16 comments:

~michelle pendergrass said...

Well, He ate before and came back and ate...

Unknown said...

Yes, I've heard it taught that since he ate after he returned, we can look forward to eating in heaven. Don't know if that's true, but I love that eating might be a part of our eternity.

I loved reading your answers. I was the one who was sent downstairs to tell my parents that we were up, because I wouldn't peek. My sis had to wait at the top of the stairs, and I ran back up to babysit her while my parents turned on the lights and started the coffee.

Erin said...

Perhaps that angel announcing you're pregnant will also tell you you can get the epidural. ;)

I have no idea if Jesus can/will/wants to eat. If there were gingerbread cookies around, I would if I were him.

Claudia said...

Is Erin on to something here???

#1...good answer...one in both hand...and preferably the alcoholic version of each unless Erin is telling us something!!

Erin said...

No angels bearing news of impending judgement OR childbirth have visited me lately, Claudia - although I think I'd take the epidural in either case.

Not saying anything other than childbirth is painful and gingerbread cookies are yummy.

Pamela said...

awww Angels?
My sis lost her husband end of May.
This week she was searching for a card for one of her sons. She was looking through them and found one that was gorgeous that said "To our son".... when it occured to her that "our" no longer existed. She stood in front of the card deck and couldn't move as tears ran down her face. A woman walked up beside her and asked if there was anything she could do. My sis, said "Oh NO, I'm fine - just getting used to the idea of being alone my first christmas with out my husband." The woman walked over and gently put her arms around her and held her very close and snug for a few minutes - pressed her cheek against my sis's hair. Then said "I'm so very sorry."

Angels... no they aren't scary at all.

Pamela said...

okay.. I had to go post that story on my blog...
I don't know why I hadn't before

L.L. Barkat said...

Oh, another family that likes to drive dad crazy. Love it! :) Come on over and grab an eggnog here!

Mike Duran said...

The "resurrection body" is clearly different than the normal physical body. For instance, after His Resurrection, Jesus passed through walls like a ghost, but was still solid enough to be inspected and embraced by His followers. So while He ate after the Resurrection, it is unclear whether His body actually required food in the same way it did before. When questioned about post-resurrection marriage, Jesus said: "When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels" (Mk. 12:25 NIV). What does that mean to "be like the angels"? Do angels require food? Or -- since the context is marriage -- sex or companionship?

The Bible is clear that "when we see Him, we will be like Him," and I'm assuming that means physically as well as spiritually. However, Scripture is unclear about a lot of specifics concerning the afterlife (for instance, can I walk through a wall with a full stomach?). My guess is that food will not be a requirement, but a blessed perk. Nevertheless, without eggnog, can it really be Heaven?

Dineen A. Miller said...

Aww, I go this list by email too. Fun to read what your friends like.

Hope you have an awesome Christmas, Heather!

The best of this precious season to you and your hubby. :-)

Anonymous said...

*knock-knock-knock*

(random Christmas caroler enters)

*ahem*
(singing)
An-gels we have heeeaaard on hiigh,
Sing-ing sweet-ly ooo'er the plaaains,
And the mount-ains iiiin re-plyyyy
E-cho-ing their jooyy-ous strains.
Glooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-ooooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oooooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooooooo-riaaaaa in ex-cel-sis Deeeee-ooooo.
Glooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-ooooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oooooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooooooo-riaaaaa in ex-cel-sis Deeeee-eeeeee-ooooo.

Shep-herds, why this juuuu-bil-eeee?
Why these songs of haaaap-py cheeeer?
What great bright-ness did you seeeeeee?
What glad tiding diiiiid you hear?
Glooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-ooooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oooooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooooooo-riaaaaa in ex-cel-sis Deeeee-ooooo.
Glooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-ooooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oooooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooooooo-riaaaaa in ex-cel-sis Deeeee-eeeeee-ooooo.

Come to Beth-le-heeeem and seeeee
Him whose birth the aaaan-gels siiiing;
Come, a-dore on beeeend-ed kneeeee
Christ, the Lord, the neeeeww-born Kiiiiing.
Glooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-ooooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oooooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooooooo-riaaaaa in ex-cel-sis Deeeee-ooooo.
Glooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-ooooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oooooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooooooo-riaaaaa in ex-cel-sis Deeeee-eeeeee-ooooo.

Anne Mateer said...

I'm always looking for new Christmas ideas. I love the wrapping of each person's gifts in a different paper. I may have to incorporate that one next year!

Merry Christmas, Heather.

willowtree said...

We hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas and Healthy New Year.

From WT, MDW and the furries.

(Sorry it's not personalised, but if I wrote individual greetings to everyone I'd miss out on Christmas Lunch, and you know I'm not going to let that happen.)

Anonymous said...

Your Jesus question is giving me a headache. I'm still pondering over the "Did Adam and Eve have belly buttons" one.

Robin said...

Was the Jesus question rhetorical...;)?

Robin said...

P.S. I wanna see the paintings Chris painted for you...is there any way to post pictures? What a beautiful gift!