28 August 2006

Review - Watching the Tree Limbs by Mary DeMuth

Wow. If you have not read Watching the Tree Limbs by Mary DeMuth, get thee to a bookstore! This book portrays the emotional pain and spiritual journey of an unwanted nine year old orphan. Unwanted, that is, except for a teenage boy. Mara watches the tree limbs as this teenage boy rapes her numerous times, threatening her life and the lives of those she loves. Spurred by the death of Aunt Elma, Mara’s caretaker, Mara searches for her family and for a place to belong. The language and colloquialisms employed by the author drew me in to the East Texas childhood of Mara, to her painful experiences, her friendship with Camilla, and her only child compensations and attic adventures. The characters are a mix of hope, victims of darkness, and old fashioned selfishness, creating an ensemble of empathetic, flawed, yet lovable East Texas folks. Through the evil of the book, Mary DeMuth weaves healing and redemption. I look forward to getting my hands on her next book in the series, Wishing on Dandelions, coming out in September.

8 comments:

Erin said...

What'd you make of Aunt Elma's kitchen drawer full of moldy can lids?

Heather said...

That was just weird. I can understand her piles, and I could understand a junk drawer of odds and ends, but moldy can lids?
The other weird thing was her death. She had a tumor, but died in her house kind of suddenly without being sick or hospitalized. Sounds more like a heart attack.

willowtree said...

Holy Shit!! You find this stuff entertaining? Can't wait for the next one, that's where Mara's legs fall off.

Jennifer said...

You are my book something (muse or secret twin maybe). . . . I am almost finished with this book right now. I have read her nonfiction, so I had super high expectations. I don't know if I got all I expected (but I'm not finished yet), but I do think it's been a great read so far.

I thought the drawer was such an interesting detail it made it seem real. I don't want people uncovering my weirdness.

And the other book thing--the U2 Spiritual journey that I bought for my bil after reading about it here--he is loving it!

Robin said...

Yikes! My word verification speaks to the atrocities described: shxmzapb!

Beyond Words said...

In response to Willowtree, I pose this question to everyone--just curious: does a story have to be considered "entertaining" to be engaging and good?

Jennifer said...

Beyond words--Good question. I think it does not have to be "entertaining" to be moving or engaging. I think of the movie the Passion--It wasn't a raisinets and popcorn kind of movie, but I knew it was something I wanted to experience.

By the way, I reviewed this book on Saturday at my blog.

Anonymous said...

^^Thanks!!

婚前徵信婚姻感情大陸抓姦外遇抓姦法律諮詢家暴婚前徵信尋人感情挽回大陸抓姦離婚工商徵信婚前徵信外遇抓姦感情挽回尋人大陸抓姦離婚家暴工商徵信法律諮詢跟蹤工商徵信婚前徵信感情挽回外遇抓姦法律諮詢家暴尋人大陸抓姦離婚大陸抓姦外遇尋人家暴工商徵信法律諮詢家暴感情挽回大陸抓姦外遇婚前徵信離婚尋人工商徵信外遇抓姦法律諮詢家暴婚前徵信大陸抓姦尋人感情挽回外遇抓姦婚前徵信感情挽回尋人大陸抓姦工商徵信法律諮詢離婚家暴工商徵信外遇抓姦法律諮詢家暴婚前徵信尋人感情挽回大陸抓姦離婚婚前徵信工商徵信外遇抓姦尋人離婚家暴大陸抓姦感情挽回法律諮詢離婚感情挽回婚前徵信外遇抓姦家暴尋人工商徵信外遇抓姦法律諮詢家暴婚前徵信尋人感情挽回">徵大陸抓姦離婚婚前徵信工商徵信外遇抓姦尋人離婚家暴大陸抓姦感情挽回法律諮詢