07 October 2007

Review - Leaper by Geoffrey Wood

This book is quirky, provocative, and hilarious. Over-caffeinated barista (baristo if male?) James discovers God has given him a super-power--leaping (or transporting) from one place to another. It's an odd power, he knows, but it's there. The question is, should he use it for good? Even if it gets him into trouble? The guy's a worry-wart and has trust issues, which makes for some laugh-out-loud (literally--just ask the people next to me on the plane to Jersey) stream of conscious. And the dialogue! It crackles and sparks like dry wood. It is dry humor, after all.

While there is some Catholic theology that I don't agree with, it also addresses questions of faith and the true purpose of the gifts God gives us.

Guys, you need to read this book. Seriously. You will not regret it. You will laugh. Loud and hard. I'm thinking of emailing the author to become his publicist. If you like Nick Hornby (About a Boy, High Fidelity, A Long Way Down), if you are one of the lucky ones to have seen a sneak preview of My Name Is Russell Fink by the illustrious (I'm not even sure I know what that means) Mike Snyder and liked it, than you'll like this book. Trust me on this one.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The only thing is, I keep reading the title as Leper. Hmm.

And I don't know... I haven't read too much funny stuff that can compete with My Name is Russell Fink. But it's good the CBA is open to more humor.

Heather said...

Actually, the main character brings that up when he's trying to figure out if he needs a cape and what his super-hero name should be.
I just read some negative (or half-hearted) reviews on Amazon about the book. There's not accounting for taste sometimes! Good thing you can always trust my taste!

Jennwith2ns said...

I had been wondering about this very book myself. Maybe for obvious reasons. Still haven't discovered what my barista super-power is . . .

Anonymous said...

heather,

let me know if you're interested in that publicist's position, sounds excellent...

thanks for the kind comments (and for reading kierkegaard...)