19 July 2007

The Eggman

"I am the walrus," I said to my sister-in-law. My nephew chewed on his walrus toy.
"Huh?" Blank look.
I added, "Goo goo g'joob."
"Are you talking in a different language?" She turned to her husband. "She's talking in code."
Husband looked at me ready to interpret. I repeated and was rewarded with another blank stare.
What has happened to this country's music education where a reference to one of the greatest rock bands, a band that changed the face of popular music, that experimented, that was one of the few rock/pop/whatever bands that actually had good musicians, reaps confusion? I won't even go into mispronunciations of Wagner and misappropriation of tunes calling a Rachmaninoff a Mozart piece (isn't all classical music either Beethoven or Mozart?) or believing the cell phone company to have composed the Queen of the Night's aria. A whole generation who had hamsters for mothers and fathers that smelt of elderberries.
By the way, this came out of a family reunion of sorts from this past weekend. Laughs, squabbles, stress, and fun. A typical family outing.
Now go away or I will taunt you a second time.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay--I get BOTH the Beatles reference and the Monty Python one, so do I get brownie points??

The cell phone thing went over my head. Is that the Tmobile tune? Because if so, yes, I did think that they composed it.

By the way, we saw Spamalot a couple of weeks ago, and I thought it was SO amusing. As good or better than the Holy Grail. The updates are right on.

Erin said...

So, were you really feeling like the walrus being chewed on by a toddler, or just recalling some great (and chemically enhanced?) songwriting?

Heather said...

Erin, let me just say this: the screaming babies were in stereo at our table.
Jennifer, you do get 100 pts. They're like Whose Line points, though. I've been wanting to see Spamelot!
The ring tong reference was just one of the options on some phone (I don't remember which one), but in general, I meant that people don't recognize the arias and symphonies ringing from their phones.