26 October 2007

A Diatribe in E-flat Minor

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a hater of technology. I like it. I like my laptop. I like my cell-phone. I especially like my coffee maker with the timer.
But sometimes it bugs me that now, because of technology, when you're with someone, you're not really with someone (Godfather, anyone?). You meet a friend for tea, but their cell phone rings half a dozen times, so in the middle of a heart-to-heart she breaks to talk to Suzy about bringing snacks for the next event.
Now, I happen to be lucky. I have a couple of wonderful friends who don't answer the phone just because it rings if we're having coffee together. I appreciate that.
Or there's the evening together--spent around the boob tube. Ah, yes. Some real bonding time. Stimulating conversation.
Today my husband and I leave to go camping, to get away from the TV and cell phone to have conversations and pray and wonder at the beauty.
Of course, I say all this, but if my cell phone were to have a day without service or my cable were to crash, then I'd be lashing out in major diatribes.
(Note: I just realized that I already have a label "diatribe." How often do I do this?)

8 comments:

Pamela said...

Cell phone interruptions annoy me, too.

I have the urge to just walk away

~michelle pendergrass said...

I know what you mean. I turn my cell off frequently.

I'll be ready for camping after this weekend.

We should plan a Misfits and spouses camping trip. OH how I would love that!

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way.

I have issues with Call Waiting too - I called first and unless you are expecting a very important phone call - let it ring. Who ever it is will call back.

Anonymous said...

At some point in the past few years, I heard someone comment that phones were for CONVENIENCE, not obligation. I have NO problems ignoring my phone when it'd be impolite to do otherwise, but sometimes it helps to HAVE some "help".

Sounds like you and Chris will have a wonderful time--just the two of you, creation...and the Creator.

:) L'chaim!

BTW, your last line of this post made me smile :).

willowtree said...

The phone thing is a real problem with today's society. Another major annoyance is when you're standing at the counter talking to the company rep and they answer damn phone. Hey wait a minute! Not only was I talking, but I at least made the effort to come and see you!!

As for the TV issue, I'd agree with you except that all my friends are so boring that when I visit, the TV is actually the better option.

Unknown said...

Yeah, camping sounds good. And I more often than not, don't answer my phone. I didn't get one for the longest time because I didn't want to always be accessible.

Hope you have a great time!

jcubsdad said...

I was thinking about technology Saturday. I was pulling up to my bank at a location I do not normally do business at, and in the drive through is a telivision where I can watch CNN to my hearts delight until they process my transaction. When it was time to process my transaction the teller comes on the television so I can watch her do the transaction... Argh!

Drive throughs are already out ther for our fast and hurried pace in live, now they have telivisons to amuse us to death now in the process. I just want to say TECHNOLOGY SUCKS, build a hermitage in the mountains and have at it.

But alas I realize I have a 6 year old son and a wife whom I love, and that brings me back to reality.

L.L. Barkat said...

You're singing my tune. ;-)