05 October 2007

New Jersey in a 1000 Words or Less

I'm back. Visiting your roots, your childhood and your parents' childhoods, refreshes the soul.
Since this was a research trip for me (and it worked--it answered a lot of questions about my current WIP and got some ideas germinating for two more), I took pictures. Tons of pictures (if a picture is worth a 1000 words, how many words does that make--and, more importantly, Misfits, does that count toward my daily word count?).
Here are a few (I'll try to keep it down):

Since I told you about Eastern State Penitentiary: here's what would greet you at the entrance, although from pics I saw of the original, he was added later.

Philadelphia City Hall: you can't really see much of the tower on the right side, but on the top stands William Penn (guess what: Pennsylvania was not named after him but after his father 'cause a good Quaker would never name anything after himself).
Elfreth Alley: oldest houses in the States still lived in. The road is teeny tiny.

A building on Haddon Ave in Collingswood, one of the two towns in NJ where I grew up.

The church I grew up in.

You know I had to put a pic of the shore. My mom and I stayed in Ocean City for two days. These morning clouds worked their way inland giving us Irving Berlin blue skies and the perfect temperature in the afternoon.

Christ Church cemetery (partially dedicated to Angie): where Ben Franklin and four other signers of the good ole Declaration that started it all are buried (as well as some other interesting folk)

9 comments:

Jeanne Damoff said...

Great shots! Thanks for sharing them.

Erin said...

Girl, you went to Da Funky Church!!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to visit...if I can talk you into being my tour guide ;).

Pamela said...

So much to see, so little time.
I have been to Ocean city MD. (Is that where you were?)

Anonymous said...

Wow, great pictures. They didn't show up in bloglines so I missed them the first time around.

Heather said...

Thanks, WT. Yeah, I wish I knew how to fix that. But I don't.
Robin--anytime, girl!
Erin--my church new how to get down. Sort of.
Pam--we were in Ocean City, NJ.

Unknown said...

What a nice visit and trip to your roots.

Gina Conroy said...

Awesome pics! I've been home so many times and never get to do the research thing. Guess you need to designate it a research trip or it won't get done.

Tanya said...

GREAT pictures! I lived in Philadelphia for years and have no pictures of the architecture. Shame on me!