16 October 2007

The Pursuit of Happiness

Is it a God-given right as our handy-dandy Declaration of Independence
claims?
I struggle with this question.
On the one hand, let's be honest, I pursue it everyday. Who doesn't want to be happy? If you pursue a bad state of being, we call you a masochist and give you happy drugs.
On the other hand, what would Job say? After everything was taken away from him and he sat in ashes in mourning demanding an answer from God? I guess the very nature of the fact that Job demanded an answer shows that he believed he had the right to be happy--after all, he lived a righteous life. So the appropriate question would be, what would God say? God swept in and said, Where were you when I created everything? You have no right.

For the rest of the post, pursue the Misfits.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the problem with Happiness, it's such a subject thing, and who decides what it is?

L.L. Barkat said...

Just popping in because I was thinking about Hebrew. The "ha". The "the". (Am I right? Is that the "the"?) We can read whole sentences now, and it's so exciting. Any new vocabulary in your satchel? (Well, only asking because you asked. Me to ask. :)

Pamela said...

We can still have joy even if we aren't happy each moment

Heather Diane Tipton said...

yeah... how do you know when to quit that job?? LOL

I loved this post, Heather

Anonymous said...

Ask Joel Osteen..............

Jennwith2ns said...

Yeah, see, THIS is kind of what I've been thinking about lately, too.