05 February 2007

Clean up on aisle 6, please

“Your house looks like a store,” my friend said when I answered the door. Because my fridge and pantry are stocked with fresh veggies and fruit like Whole Foods, ingredients ready to be whipped into a meal? Oh my, no. Because fashionable clothes fill my closet and trendy throw pillows litter my sofa? No, my friend.
Because until this weekend we had Christmas lights lining our lawn and crawling up our bushes and trees and a Valentine’s wreath shimmering on our door.
This past year, I’ve gotten into decorating for all the holidays, not just Christmas. Spiders webs and harvest cornucopias in the fall and now this heart-shaped wreath for February. I’ll probably be stapling green construction paper to my walls for St. Patty’s Day.
But with all the rain and busy schedules and any other excuse we can conjure up, the Christmas decorations stayed put outside. All the songs say that the Christmas spirit should be year-long, right? We’re just trying to do our part.
Family came in town this weekend. Excuses wore onion paper thin. So now the Valentine’s wreath with its sparkly tinsel and hearts hangs alone.

10 comments:

Jennwith2ns said...

Do you decorate for Groundhog Day? How 'bout St. David's Day? Or Memorial Day? Let's not be holiday-ist here . . .

Erin said...

When you start hot-glueing tiny flocked teddy bears to a toilet brush and calling it wall art, I'm going to have to hold an intervention.

This ain't no truckstop, Cletus.

Pamela said...

ho ho ho ho ho ho.... you just wait until you see the clean up on episode 9 that you inherit on WOLFDEN BAR AND GRILL


Ohhhhhhhh my.

L.L. Barkat said...

... slow to change... or just a party girl at heart?

Heather said...

Oh, Pam, what have I committed to?
L.L., I love my parties! I'm partying like it's 1999, and have the decorations still up!
Erin, that's just wrong on so many levels. Unless it's an unused toilet brush. Hmmm. Not that sounds very, well, now I can't remember the artist - the one who has the oversize Barbies and dolls. I could probably make a lot of money for a piece like that.

Jennwith2ns said...

Given some of the stuff that passes for art in Europe, you might want to go with the used toilet brush.

Erin said...

Marcel Duchamp did the "ready mades." Urinals and bicycles and that sort of thing. Just yank them out of the wall and put them on a sculpture pedestal.. et... voila!
You'd be in good company with your toilet brush art.

Gina Conroy said...

We took down our Christmas decorations about three weeks ago, way too long, but we were too busy and didn't want to deal with the mess. So we won't be decorating for any other holiday, except Easter. Maybe. Though we will exchange valentine hearts, and wear our St.Patty hats while eating green food. Hey, I'm not a Scrooge after all.

Visit me at my new home and don't forget to bookmark.
Portrait of a Writer...Interrupted

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to imagine what you'll do for President's Day and Arbor Day and, ooooooo, you need a May Pole for May Day...you could very easily never get another thing done.

Is this YOU or you and Chris??? Do you also have jammies for every occasion?

Pamela said...

heather... I don't have an Email here to respond to you ref to Tessy

I've been backing up my blog and I've accidentally popped a couple of "publish" by accident which stuck the old story out on bloglines

That story about Tessy is from September

glad you liked it.

sorry about using comment